Course leader: Vibeke Broe
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Graduate program: ClinFO
Course fee: 2,520.00 DKK
Status: Course is open for application
Semester: Fall 2022
Application deadline: 19/10/2022
Start date: 16/11/2022
Administrator: Johanne Gregor Nielsen
The course C253/07 Prepare yourself on the movement from a PhD in Health to a career in the public/private sector is being offered by the Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University, fall 2022.
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Aim: To support PhD students in their career decision-making process by increasing their career awareness, and to prepare them for the transition between academia and industry/public sector jobs.
- Identify their transferable skills achieved during doctoral training
- Explain the value of these skills within as well as outside of academia
- Reflect on their own possible career path
- Apply the different aspects of the course when marketing their skills in different situations
- Furthermore, the participants should gain an understanding of common career areas for researchers, and the requirements companies have when employing PhDs.
Workload: The full workload of the course is expected to be 52 hours.
Content: This course focuses on preparing you for a job outside of academia and we will be working with skills awareness, job market understanding, career decision making and suggestions to how you can prepare for the transition.
The course includes presentations by alumni working in the industry who will present and discuss their non-academic career paths. Employers will reflect on the skills required and sought after in their organization, and you will be working with identifying your own specific skill set and what makes you employable. We will also discuss networking; how you present your research and how you prepare your application material.
The teaching form is a mix of presentations and group work. The alumni will represent different companies and different backgrounds.
Instructors: Vibeke Broe and Miriam Vestergaard Kobbersmed, AU Career PhD & JR + alumni and company representatives.
Venue: The Victor Albeck building, 1266, Vennelyst Blvd. 4, 8000 Aarhus C
Participation in the course is without cost for:
- PhD students, Health Research Year students and Health Research Honours Programme students from Aarhus University
- PhD students enrolled at partner universities of the Nordoc collaboration
- PhD students from other institutions in the open market agreement for PhD courses
- 16 November 2022 08:30 - 16:00
- 17 November 2022 09:00 - 16:00
- 23 November 2022 09:00 - 16:00
- 30 November 2022 09:00 - 16:00
- 01 December 2022 09:00 - 16:00