Course leader: Morten Pilegaard
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Course fee: 3,120.00 DKK
Status: Course is open for application
Semester: Fall 2022
Application deadline: 11/08/2022
Start date: 08/09/2022
Administrator: Christina Bak Bekhøi Christensen
Please do not sign up for more than one course in ”Advanced Course in Written English”. If you are available to participate in more than one of the duplicated courses, please indicate in your primary course registration (in the comment box) which course(s) you are also interested in. In case of a duplicate registration, please notice that a full course fee will be charged when reaching the application deadline on all courses.
The course A125/53 Advanced Course in Written English is being offered by the Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University, fall 2022.
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Recommended knowledge for participation: It is recommended that participants have attended the Basic Course in Written English before taking this course, which is open to participants with work in progress.
Aim: The aim of this course is to train the students’ general and disciplinary writing ability to enhance successful disciplinary writing in conformity with contextual/situational, discoursal and genre- and text-type conventions and requirements of written academic English in health sciences.
1) Ability to use existing guidelines and conventions governing the structuring of clinical research papers.
2) Ability to analyse and describe typical structural and linguistic features of poster, abstract and paper.
3) Ability to apply principles of cohesion and thematic structuring in own texts.
4) Ability to analyse and produce select text types.
5) Ability to trace and correct errors of composition and grammar in English-language texts.
Workload: The full workload of the course is expected to be 66 hours.
Content: The students will acquire proficiency in producing, revising and editing one’s own and others’ academic texts to optimize their structure, form and conformity with existing conventions at the level of text genre (macro structure), text type (presentation, argumentation, summarizing, etc.) and form (formality and grammatical correctness); tracing and optimizing non-academic language at paragraph, sentence and word level, including enhancing text cohesion; tracing and correcting unidiomatic English and any mother-tongue interference from non-native writers of English
Instructor: Morten Pilegaard
Venue: The Conference Centre, Fredrik Nielsens Vej 4, 8000 Aarhus C.
Participation in the course is without cost for:
- PhD students, Health Research Year students and Health Research Honours Programme students from Aarhus University
- PhD students enrolled at partner universities of the Nordoc collaboration
- PhD students from other institutions in the open market agreement for PhD courses
- 08 September 2022 08:30 - 12:30
- 15 September 2022 08:30 - 12:30
- 22 September 2022 08:30 - 12:30
- 29 September 2022 08:30 - 12:30