Course leader: Olaf Dekkers
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Graduate program: ClinFO
Course fee: 1,680.00 DKK
Max seats: 24
Status: Course is open for application
Semester: Fall 2021
Application deadline: 02/11/2021
Start date: 30/11/2021
Administrator: Christina Bak Bekhøi Christensen
The course, C189/11 Synthesising Evidence: Meta-Analyses and Systematic Reviews, is being offered by the Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University, autumn 2021.
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or Master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Recommended knowledge for participation: Completion of core and specific basic courses is required. Completion of “Introduction to Clinical Epidemiology” course. Participants are required to have experience with some sort of software for statistical analysis – e.g. Stata, R, or SAS.
Aim: To introduce PhD students to the basic concepts, methods and issues in meta-analyses and systematic reviews. The course is offered as part of the graduate program in clinical medicine, so the focus will be on epidemiological studies.
Learning outcome: The PhD student will achieve knowledge in:
- Understanding and evaluating meta-analyses
- Conducting systematic reviews
- Assessing heterogeneity between the studies included
- Combining the results from individual studies in a pooled estimate
Contents: The programme will be a mixture of lectures combined with exercises in the following topics:
- The purpose of a systematic review
- Defining, searching and retrieving “the literature” on a topic
- Creating a meta-analytic data set
- Tools for assessing and measuring heterogeneity
- Fixed-effect and random-effects models
- Graphical displays in meta-analysis
The course will comprise of practical exercises using Stata. Participants are required to bring a laptop with a Stata installation version 9 or newer – or an installation of their favourite software for statistical analysis.
Instructors: Professor Olaf Dekkers from Leiden University Medical Center and Aarhus University and Saskia le Cessie from Leiden University Medical Center
Venue: Loftssalen (1266-316), the Victor Albeck Building, Vennelyst Boulevard 4, 8000 Aarhus C.
Participation in the course is without cost for:
- PhD students, Research Year students and Research Honours Programme students from Aarhus University
- PhD students enrolled at partner universities of the Nordoc collaboration
- PhD students from other institutions in the open market agreement for PhD courses
- 30 November 2021 08:30 - 16:00
- 01 December 2021 08:30 - 15:15