Course leader: Sanne Angel
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Graduate program: PH
Course fee: 3,600.00 DKK
Max seats: 24
Status: Course is finished
Semester: Spring 2021
Application deadline: 15/12/2020
Start date: 12/01/2021
Administrator: Johanne Gregor Nielsen
Collecting qualitative research data
is being offered by the Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University, spring 2021
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or Master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Aim: Participants will acquire a science-based, theoretical understanding for and basic skills in applying different methods for the purpose of producing empirical material.
- The student will have knowledge of principles of more qualitative approaches and qualitative methods in general
- The student will be able to judge the different methods’ relevance to study designs
- The student will have knowledge about the different form of data collection
- The student will have collected data in form of field observation and interviews
Contents: The course introduces a number of commonly applied qualitative methods (participant observation, qualitative interviews, discussions in focus groups, video recordings, action research), with emphasis on the following: producing data material, the connection between method and methodology, which basic assumptions form the different methods, and which opportunities and limits each method entails.
Emphasis is placed on training the methods through supervised exercises. The course provides the student with the basis for taking a reflected methodical choice, and gives the student the opportunity to acquire specific experience with data collection needed for fundamental research knowledge.
The course consists of three days of teaching, and combines introductory lectures with exercises in smaller groups or individually. Active participation from the students is expected. Please note the mandatory assignment before the course (expected length 10 hours)
Place: “Kollokvierum Øst” (1268-218), the Victor Albeck Building, Vennelyst Boulevard 4, 8000 Aarhus
Participation in the course is without cost for:
- PhD students, Research Year students and Research Honours Programme students from Aarhus University
- PhD students enrolled at partner universities of the Nordoc collaboration
- PhD students from other institutions in the open market agreement for PhD courses
- 12 January 2021 09:00 - 15:45
- 13 January 2021 09:00 - 15:45
- 14 January 2021 09:00 - 15:45