Course leader: Peter Musaeus
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Course fee: 2,760.00 DKK
Max seats: 16
Status: Course is closed for applications
Semester: Spring 2021
Application deadline: 12/01/2021
Start date: 09/02/2021
Administrator: Annette Poulsen
Title: Phenomenological Health Research: Qualitative Analysis
is being offered by the Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University, spring 2021.
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or Master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Aim: Students will gain an in-depth understanding of the scientific theoretical basis guiding the analytical process in phenomenological qualitative research. The students will be able to apply relevant analytical approaches and to make consistent and well-informed choices in relation to qualitative research.
Learning outcomes: After the course, the PhD student will be able to:
- Critically evaluate literature and practice in Phenomenological health qualitative analysis.
- Write a plan for the analysis with reference to the literature.
- Analyse your own data from a phenomenological perspective (e.g. which step do you follow?) and discuss own and co-participants’ choices and considerations.
- Describe a plan for analysing your own qualitative data/material.
- Compare strengths and weaknesses in an empirical phenomenological versus hermeneutical- phenomenological analysis.
Contents: This course will introduce a variety of analytical approaches in doing a phenomenological qualitative health research study. The analytical approaches presented will serve as theoretical discussion about phenomenology in qualitative research more broadly.
The course will run for three full days plus two hours of online-presentation and will alternate between lectures, exercises and student presentations. In order to fully benefit from the course, a high level of student participation is expected.
Instructors: Associate Professor Anne-Lise Norlyk, Associate Professor Sanne Angel, Associate Professor Ask Vest Christensen, Associate Professor Peter Musaeus.
Dates and times: 9, 10, 11 February 2021 and 25 March 2021 from 9:00 – 15:45
Place: Meeting room 1, The Conference Centre, Fredrik Nielsens Vej 4, 8000 Aarhus C and on Zoom
Participation in the course is without cost for:
- PhD students, Research Year students and Research Honours Programme students from Aarhus University
- PhD students enrolled at partner universities of the Nordoc collaboration
- PhD students from other institutions in the open market agreement for PhD courses
- 09 February 2021 09:00 - 15:45
- 10 February 2021 09:00 - 15:45
- 11 February 2021 09:00 - 15:45
- 25 March 2021 08:00 - 17:00