Course C207/14 Observational epidemiology: studies of prognosisCancelled
Course leader: Peter Jepsen
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Graduate program: ClinFO
Course fee: 1,800.00 DKK
Max seats: 24
Status: Course is cancelled
Semester: Spring 2021
Application deadline: 06/04/2021
Start date: 04/05/2021
Administrator: Annette Poulsen
Extra criteria for participation
It is expected that participants are familiar with the statistical software Stata and can bring own laptop with Stata installed. Additionally, participants must have completed the course “Introduction to Clinical Epidemiology”.
Title: Observational epidemiology: studies of prognosis
is being offered by the Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University, spring 2021
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or Master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Aim: The course will introduce the student to both the basic and more advanced methods to describe and predict prognosis for a group of patients. Subsequently, the student should be able to use the methods in relation to own data.
Learning outcomes: After the course, the student will be able to:
· Understand why we study prognosis
· Understand the principles of survival analysis
· Know the difference between hypothesis-testing studies and prediction studies
· Interpret the result of a Cox regression
· Recognise ’competing risks’ in studies of prognosis
Content: The course covers purposes of and methods for studies of prognosis. The basic principles of survival analysis will be introduced, and we will cover differences and similarities between hypothesis-testing studies and prediction studies, Cox regression, competing risk studies, variable selection and validation of models. There will be both lectures and exercises based on Stata
Instructors: Peter Jepsen and Uffe Heide-Jørgensen, Dept. of Clinical Medicine, Aarhus University.
Time and dates: 4 - 5 May 2021 from 8:30 - 16:00
Venue: Kollokiverum Øst, The Victor Albeck building, Vennelyst Blvd. 4, 8000 Aarhus C
Participation in the course is without cost for:
- PhD students, Research Year students and Research Honours Programme students from Aarhus University
- PhD students enrolled at partner universities of the Nordoc collaboration
- PhD students from other institutions in the open market agreement for PhD courses
- 04 May 2021 08:30 - 16:00
- 05 May 2021 08:30 - 16:00