Course leader: Erik Thorlund Parner
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Graduate program: PH
Course fee: 6,000.00 DKK
Max seats: 75
Status: Course is started
Semester: Spring 2021
Application deadline: 27/01/2021
Start date: 24/02/2021
Administrator: Christina Bak Bekhøi Christensen
Basic Biostatistics" is no longer mandatory
If you are enrolled per 1 May 2015 or after, "Basic Biostatistics" will no longer be mandatory. Thus, it is up to you to agree with your main supervisor whether or not you should participate in "Basic Biostatistics".
ECTS not included
ECTS for the courses Biostatistics part 1 and part 2 ARE NOT INCLUDED in the ECTS calculation of the course calendar, but will, of course, be included in your total ECTS obligation. Therefore, the courses Biostatistics part 1 and part 2 will not prevent you from taking more courses in the course calendar.
Title: Basic Biostatistics - part 1 (four days)
is being offered by the Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University, Spring 2021
THE COURSE WILL BE HELD ONLINE
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or Master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Aim: The course provides the students with basic skills using the most common, simple statistical models and analyzes in medical research.
- Document and handle data needed for a statistical analysis
- Chose a relevant statistical model for a given research question and evaluate the assumptions of the statistical analysis
- Perform a statistical analysis based on the chosen model
- Describe the results of the statistical analysis, and discuss the results in relation to the scientific question
- Make simple calculations of sample sizes for the planning of a comparative study
Content: Basic statistical concepts such as mean, standard deviation, model, estimate, test, p-value, and confidence interval. One and two sample problems, paired data. Non-parametric methods. The binomial distribution, and analysis of cross tabulated data. Model diagnostics. Power and sample size calculations.
We recommend that you bring your own laptop.
Prerequisites: The course material is based on the statistical package Stata. It is necessary to attend a short introductory course in Stata unless you are already familiar with this program. Users of other statistical packages can also attend the course, but you need to be familiar with the alternative statistical package.
The participants should expect to spend some time each week preparing for the course lectures and working on the exercises.
Reserve one additional day each week for this.
Dates and times: Theory: Wednesday 24 February, 3 March, 10 March and 24 March 2021 from 9.15-12.00. Exercises: Wednesday afternoon from 13.00- 16.00.
Place: Zoom and Blackboard
Participation in the course is without cost for:
- PhD students, Research Year students and Research Honours Programme students from Aarhus University
- PhD students enrolled at partner universities of the Nordoc network
- PhD students from other institutions in the open market agreement for PhD courses
- 24 February 2021 09:15 - 16:00
- 03 March 2021 09:15 - 16:00
- 10 March 2021 09:15 - 16:00
- 24 March 2021 09:15 - 16:00