Course COURSE CANCELLED P265/04 Qualitative data analysis: Using NVivo 12Cancelled
Course leader: Annesofie Lunde Jensen
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Max seats: 22
Status: Course is cancelled
Application deadline: 15/10/2020
Start date: 30/10/2020
Administrator: Johanne Gregor Nielsen
Title: Qualitative data analysis: Using NVivo 12
is being offered by the Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University, fall 2020
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or Master’s degree in other health related fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Recommended knowledge for participation: Knowledge regarding qualitative research methods is to be expected. Furthermore, participants must have NVivo 12 installed on their computer.
Introduction: NVivo 12 is a software programme for data analysis, which is useful for organising and analysing large quantities of qualitative data. Qualitative data covers a range of different data such as data from interviews, focus groups, field observations, videos, pictures, journal articles and web pages. NVivo 12 can be used in different types of research including data analysis based on e.g. content analysis, grounded theory, discourse analysis, and taxonomic analysis. Furthermore, it is useful in systematic reviews, e.g. meta-synthesis and mixed methods reviews.
Aim: The course aims to provide students with the skills necessary to critically use the qualitative software programme NVivo 12 and to train the students in using NVivo 12 to organise and analyse different types of qualitative data.
Learning outcomes: The students will learn how NVivo 12 supports the qualitative study process from the beginning to the end. Having completed this course, the student will be able to use NVivo 12’s most important functions:
- Create projects and identify units of analysis
- Critical providing element (sources and cases) as a foundation for making queries
- Create memos, annotations and links
- Use NVivo 12 together with bibliographic software such as EndNote and RefWorks
- Code data in relation to different types of qualitative data analysis techniques
- Analyse data, visualise data analysis and make different kinds of queries
- Build models and use different kinds of graphic presentations and diagrams
Content: The course will guide the student through NVivo 12’s own systematic approach to a qualitative project and outline how NVivo 12 supports a stringent and well-documented approach to the entire data handling process. NVivo12's user interface and basic functions are introduced starting with the logical process of loading data, followed by the handling of different kinds of data and coding and different types of data analysis. Finally, the course will teach and train the students on how to use NVivo 12 to present the results of a project.
The course alternates between lectures and exercises and a high level of student participation is expected. This includes out of class assignment.
It is recommended to take the course in the beginning of the research project just after one have started to collect data material.
Head of course: Annesofie Lunde Jensen
Instructors: All instructors are experienced users of NVivo 12
- Annesofie Lunde Jensen, Part-time lector, Section for Nursing, Department of Public Health, Health, Aarhus University
- Kristian Kriegbaum Jensen
- Jeanette Finderup, PhD. student, Department of Clinical Medicine, Aarhus University
- PhD student
Number of participants: 22
Dates and times: 30 October, 6 and 24 November 2020 from 10:00 - 16:00
Place: Loftsalen (1266-316), The Victor Albeck building, Vennelyst Blvd 4, 8000 Aarhus
Course fee: DKK 2760
Participation in the course is without cost for:
- PhD students, Research Year students and Research Honours Programme students from Aarhus University
- PhD students enrolled at partner universities of the Nordoc collaboration
- PhD students from other institutions in the open market agreement for PhD courses
Application deadline: 2 October 2020