Course P224/04 Quantitative exposure assessment in occupational and environmental epidemiology COURSE CANCELLEDCancelled
Course leader: Vivi Schlünssen
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Max seats: 25
Status: Course is cancelled
Application deadline: 30/08/2020
Start date: 20/09/2020
Administrator: Annette Poulsen
Quantitative exposure assessment in occupational and environmental epidemiology
is being offered by the Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University, fall 2020. (Residential course)
Reg. No: P224/04
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or Master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Aim: The objective of this PhD course to familiarise participants to modern statistical methods for analyses of exposure data, in order to improve exposure effect analyses in occupational and environmental epidemiological studies. The goal is to train the participants, so they are able to evaluate literature on the topic and to perform basal analyses themselves after the course.
- Understand basic concept of exposure and exposure variability
- Understand the theory of bias and random error, within and between person variability, and attenuation of exposure-response
- Perform random effect analyses to estimate determinants of exposure and understand implications for within and between person variability
- Understand the construction and applications of job Exposure matrices for exposure assessment
- Based on the above skills be able to design exposure assessment strategies for different types of exposure in occupational and environmental cohort studies
- Evaluate advantages and drawbacks for different exposure metrics in epidemiological studies
- Lectures with 5-10 minutes exercises included
- 1 large group exercise/day
- Recap every morning where the most important points from the day before is mentioned, and yesterday’s exercise is presented
- Presentation and discussion of participants own projects
- One afternoon and evening social event.
Recommended knowledge for participation: Participants who have followed the basic PhD course in epidemiology or a similar course. It is expected that participants are familiar with logistic and linear regression analysis and are familiar with STATA.
Head of course: Vivi Schlünssen and Henrik A. Kolstad
- Prof Alex Burdorf (AB), Dept. of Public Health, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, NL
- Dr Susan Peters (SP), Institute for Risk Assessment Sciences, Utrecht University, NL
- Annett Dalbøge, Department of Occupational Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, DK
- Vivi Schlünssen (VS), Department of Public Health, Aarhus University, DK
- Researchers working within this field from Danish Ramazzini Centre: www.ramazzini.dk.
Number of Participants: 25
Dates and times: Sunday 20 September 17.00 – Friday 25 September 14.00
Place: Sandbjerg Estate, Sandbjergvej 102, 6400 Sønderborg
Room and board is part of the price and it is expeced that the participants stay at Sandbjerg Estate during the entire course.
Course fee: DKK 4680 is for:
- PhD students enrolled at partner universities of the Nordoc collaboration
- PhD students from other institutions in the open market agreement for PhD courses
- Non-PhD students
Participation in the course is without cost for:
- PhD students, Research Year students and Research Honours Programme students from Aarhus University
Application deadline: 30 August 2020