Course leader: Vibeke Broe
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Max seats: 24
Status: Course is finished
Application deadline: 11/10/2020
Start date: 09/11/2020
Administrator: Johanne Gregor Nielsen
Title: Prepare yourself on the movement from a PhD in Health to a career in non-academia
is being offered by the Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University, fall 2020
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or Master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Aim: To support PhD students in their career decision-making process by increasing their career awareness, and to prepare them for the transition between academia and industry/public sector jobs.
Learning outcomes: After the course, the participants should be able to
- Identify their transferable skills achieved during doctoral training
- Explain the value of these skills within as well as outside of academia
- Reflect on their own possible career path
- Apply the different aspects of the course when marketing their skills in different situations
- Furthermore, the participants should gain an understanding of common career areas for researchers, and the requirements companies have when employing PhDs.
Content: This course focuses on preparing you for a job outside of academia and we will be working with skills awareness, job market understanding, career decision making and suggestions to how you can prepare for the transition.
The course includes presentations by alumni working in the industry who will present and discuss their non-academic career paths. Employers will reflect on the skills required and sought after in their organisation, and you will be working with identifying your own specific skill set. We will also discuss networking; how you present your research; CVs and possibly go on a company visit.
The teaching form is a mix of presentations and group work. The alumni will represent different companies and different backgrounds incl.MDs
Head of course: Vibeke Broe, AU PhD and JR Career Service and Kamille Smidt Rasmussen, Head of GP: ClinFO, Dept. of Clinical Medicine
Number of participants: 24
Dates and times: 9, 10, 16, 18 (meeting room 2.3 at 13.00 - 16.00), 23 and 24 November 2020 (8.00 - 15.00)
Place: Preben Hornung Stuen, The Conference Centre, Frederik Nielsens Vej 2-4, 8000 Aarhus C
Course fee: DKK 4.320
- PhD students, Research Year students and Research Honours Programme students from Aarhus University
- PhD students enrolled at partner universities of the Nordoc collaboration
- PhD students from other institutions in the open market agreement for PhD courses
Application deadline: 12 October 2020