Course leader: Eva Greibe
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Max seats: 24
Status: Course is finished
Application deadline: 23/09/2020
Start date: 21/10/2020
Administrator: Randi Ulrikke Aaberg-Warncke
Title: Get ready to work with biostatistics
is being offered by the Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University, fall 2020.
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or Master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Aim: To achieve basic knowledge on data documentation, basic statistical tests and the assumptions for performing these tests. The course is meant for students with none or very little experience within statistics.
Learning outcomes: At the end of the course, the PhD- or research-year student will be familiar with:
- How to test for assumptions for basic statistical tests
- How to perform basic statistical tests
- How to present results in tables
- How to perform a sample size calculation
Content: The participant will gain knowledge on:
- Different types of variables (continuous and categorical variables)
- Descriptive statistics
- Test for Gaussian distribution
- Sample size calculation
- Parametric statistics and non-parametric statistics
- paired data
- unpaired data
- Chi2 tests and Fishers exact test
- Repeated measurements: One-way analyses
- Presentation of data using different plots
Recommended knowledge for participation: Basic knowledge on how to use Excel or GraphPad Prism
Head of course: Eva Greibe
Instructors: Peter Nissen, Ole Halfdan Larsen, Anders Etzerodt, Eva Greibe
Number of participants: 24
Dates and times: 21 October from 8:15 - 15:00 (day 1) and 4 November from 8:15 - 14:15 (day 2).
Place: Aarhus University, “Stakladen” in "Preben Hornung Stuen" on 21 October, and "Mogens Zieler Stuen" on 4 November , Frederik Nielsens Vej 2-4, 8000 Aarhus C.
Course fee: DKK 2160
Participation in the course is without cost for:
- PhD students, Research Year students and Research Honours Programme students from Aarhus University
- PhD students enrolled at partner universities of the Nordoc network
- PhD students from other institutions in the open market agreement for PhD courses
Application deadline: 23 September 2020