Course C189/10 COURSE CANCELLED Synthesising Evidence: Meta-Analyses and Systematic ReviewsCancelled
Course leader: Olaf Dekkers
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Max seats: 24
Status: Course is cancelled
Application deadline: 26/10/2020
Start date: 23/11/2020
Administrator: Randi Ulrikke Aaberg-Warncke
Title: Synthesising Evidence: Meta-Analyses and Systematic Reviews
is being offered by the Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University, fall 2020.
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or Master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Recommended knowledge for participation: Completion of core and specific basic courses is required. Completion of “Introduction to Clinical Epidemiology” course. Participants are required to have experience with some sort of software for statistical analysis – e.g. Stata, R, or SAS.
Aim: To introduce PhD students to the basic concepts, methods and issues in meta-analyses and systematic reviews. The course is offered as part of the graduate program in clinical medicine, so the focus will be on epidemiological studies.
Learning outcome: The PhD student will achieve knowledge in:
- Understanding and evaluating meta-analyses
- Conducting systematic reviews
- Assessing heterogeneity between the studies included
- Combining the results from individual studies in a pooled estimate
Contents: The programme will be a mixture of lectures combined with exercises in the following topics:
- The purpose of a systematic review
- Defining, searching and retrieving “the literature” on a topic
- Creating a meta-analytic data set
- Tools for assessing and measuring heterogeneity
- Fixed-effect and random-effects models
- Graphical displays in meta-analysis
The course will comprise of practical exercises using Stata. Participants are required to bring a laptop with a Stata installation version 9 or newer – or an installation of their favourite software for statistical analysis.
Head of Course: Professor Olaf Dekkers from Leiden University Medical Center and Aarhus University.
Instructors: Deirdre Cronin-Fenton, PhD, Thomas Bøjer Rasmussen, MSc, Anders Hammerich Riis, MSc, Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Aarhus University Hospital.
Number of Participants: Max 24 participants
Dates and Times: 23 and 24 November 2020. From 8:30 – 15:30 both days.
Place: Auditoriumat Department of Clinical Epidemiology (KEA), Olof Palmes Alle 43-45.
Course Fee: DKK 1680
Participation in the course is without cost for:
- PhD students, Research Year students and Research Honours Programme students from Aarhus University
- PhD students enrolled at partner universities of the Nordoc collaboration
- PhD students from other institutions in the open market agreement for PhD courses
Application deadline: 26 October 2020