Course leader: Rikke Katrine Jentoft Olsen
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Status: Course is finished
Semester: Spring 2016
Application deadline: 28/03/2016
Start date: 25/04/2016
Administrator: Charlotte Andersen
66-10/26 Molecular Medicine
is being offered by the Graduate School of Health Sciences, University of Aarhus, spring 2016.
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or Master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Aim: Basic course in PCR-based technologies. Generally to introduce the participants in theoretical aspects as well as practical application of analytical molecular biological methods. Specifically during laboratory exercises to introduce the students to some of the Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) based methods used in connection with analysis of DNA and RNA.
Contents: The course is composed of practical training in DNA sequence analysis, identification and detection of mutations, RNA purification, qualitative and quantitative RNA analysis. The methods used will be discussed theoretically and examples of their use in different research projects will be given.
We have arranged student and guest speaker presentations, and encourage you to bring and discuss biological and technical challenges of your own PhD projects in relation to the practical lab work.
Learning outcome: The PhD course in Molecular Medicine is a practical lab course, where we will introduce you to basic DNA and RNA technologies. During the cause you will learn how to:
- Isolate DNA and RNA from blood and cell cultures
- Optimize a PCR reaction
- Perform gel electrophoresis
- Detect gene variations by sequence analysis, allele-specific probe chemistry and melting curve analysis
- Synthesis cDNA and perform quantitative PCR analyses
- Design primers and evaluate gene sequence and expression data using public available genome browsers
Head of course: Lektor Rikke KJ Olsen, MSc, PhD
Instructors: Researchers from Research Unit of Molecular Medicine with contribution from invited lectures.
Dates: April 25-28, 2016
Place: Research Unit of Molecular Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Skejby
Course fee: DKK 3.720,-
Participation in the course is without cost for:
- PhD students and research-year students from Aarhus University
- PhD students from Sahlgrenska Akademin, Göteborg University
- PhD students from other institutions in the open marked agreement for PhD courses
Deadline: February 29, 2016
- 25 April 2016