Course leader: Morten Schmidt
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Graduate program: ClinFO
Course fee: 600.00 DKK
Status: Course is closed for applications
Semester: Spring 2023
Application deadline: 01/06/2023
Start date: 20/06/2023
Administrator: Thilde Møller Risgaard
The course C312/02 Retire statistical significance: a world beyond p<0.05 is being offered by the Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University, spring 2023.
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Aim: To provide recommendations for reporting and interpreting effect estimates considering random error.
Learning outcomes: To avoid misconceptions in the use of p-values and statistical significance testing.
Workload: The full workload of the course is expected to be 12 hours
Content: The course will use a combination of lectures, examples, and discussions to cover the following topics:
- Statistical inference
- Internal validity: systematic vs. random errors
- Statistical concepts: hypothesis testing, p-value (functions), point estimate, and confidence intervals
- Clinical vs. statistical significance
- Interpretation of effect estimates
- Misconceptions of significance testing: an epidemiologist’s perspective
- Misconceptions of significance testing: a statistician’s perspective
- Key papers, persons, and arguments in the debate
- Multiple comparisons
- Panel debate (online): Prof. Valentin Amrhein, Prof. John Ioannidis, Prof. Erik Parner*
- Recommendations for reporting effect estimates
- Recommendations for replying to peer reviewers
The content is relevant for health researchers in general, but the examples provided during the course will mainly relate to clinical and epidemiological research, and not basic (experimental) research.
*Previous members of the panel: Prof. Kenneth Rothman, Prof. Timothy Lash, and Prof. Andreas Stang
Instructors: Morten Schmidt and Erik Parner
Venue: Aarhus University, Aarhus
Participation in the course is without cost for:
- PhD students and Research Year students from Health, Aarhus University
- PhD students enrolled at partner universities of the Nordoc collaboration
- PhD students from other institutions in the open market agreement for PhD courses
- 20 June 2023 08:00 - 16:00