Course leader: Sututhi Perrananthasivam
Graduate school: Faculty of Natural Sciences
Course fee: 600.00 DKK
Status: Course is closed for applications
Semester: Fall 2023
Application deadline: 27/09/2023
Start date: 11/10/2023
Administrator: Sututhi Perrananthasivam
The workshop Research Integrity is part of the onboarding programme offered by the Graduate School of Natural Sciences/GSNS. The onboarding workshops are offered for PhD students enrolled at GSNS on part A. GSNS PhD students on part B are welcome to join, but should be aware that the workshops are addressed primarily to PhD students on part A.
Name of workshop: Research Integrity
Course parameters: No. of contact hours/hours in total incl. preparation (and online course): 7/13 hours (including 1 hour for online course)
Capacity limit: 50 participants
For more information about ECTS, see the GSNS website
The aim of this workshop is to provide PhD students with an opportunity to reflect upon research integrity, responsible conduct of research, and freedom of research in relation to their own research. The course will enable them to understand and incorporate issues concerning research planning, data management, publication and communication, authorship and contributorship, collaboration, and conflicts of interests into their own research practices.
Morning session 9.15-12.00
- 9.15-10.00 Welcome and introduction to research integrity, freedom of research and responsible conduct of research at Aarhus University
- 10.15-11.00 First group task: What are the responsibilities of researchers? Read and discuss responsibilities for researchers provided in the Singapore Statement - WCRIF - The World Conferences on Research Integrity Foundation
- 11.15-12.00 Cases relating to responsible conduct of research
Afternoon session 13.15-16.00pm
- 13.15-14.00 Scientific dishonesty, questionable research practices and perverse incentives
- 14.15-15.00 Second group task: How do we recognize and reward researchers for behavior that leads to trustworthy research? Read and discuss Hong Kong Principles - WCRIF - The World Conferences on Research Integrity Foundation
- 15.15-16.00 Summing up and reflecting on research integrity in relation to one’s own research
Before the workshop, please consult the following online resources:
- On Being a Scientist: A Guide to Responsible Conduct in Research: Third Edition |The National Academies Press
- Policy for research integrity, freedom of research and responsible conduct of research at Aarhus University (au.dk)
- The Danish Code of Conduct for Research Integrity — English (ufm.dk)
Name of lecturer(s):
Kristian Hvidtfelt Nielsen, Department of Mathematics, Aarhus University
The workshop has two parts. The first part is the mandatory online Aarhus University course on research integrity, developed by Epigeum/Oxford University Press and customized for Aarhus University. The online course is available on Brightspace. The course consists of two modules, one on responsible research conduct and one on irresponsible research practices. The end-of-module confirmation should be uploaded to MyPhD.
The second part consists of a one-day workshop provided by the Centre for Science Studies. Before the workshop, the students are required to study the assigned literature. During the workshop, the students are expected to participate in the discussions and do short presentations.
The workshop will include presentations, individual work, and group tasks. The students will be divided into smaller groups of 5-6 students that will do work together throughout the workshop.
The onboarding programme will introduce different work tools all relating to the process of initiating and doing a PhD project in the best way possible. These will be introduced through peer-mentoring groups and workshops with different topics. By participating in the onboarding programme the PhD students will be offered an insight into handling ups and downs during their PhD, and how to develop as a young scientist. The onboarding programme will also give the PhD students an opportunity to meet fellow PhD students and expand their network – both socially and academically. Read more here.
Time: 11 October 2023 09:00 – 16:00
Place: Mogens Zieler Stuen, Frederik Nielsens Vej 2, 8000 Aarhus C
Registration: Deadline for registration: 27 September 2023.
Please note that seats are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.
- For questions relating to the content of the workshop, please contact Kristian Hvidtfelt Nielsen, e-mail: email@example.com
- For questions relating to administrative issues, e.g. registration or location, please contact: Sututhi Perrananthasivam firstname.lastname@example.org
- 11 October 2023 09:00 - 16:00