Course leader: Kristian Hvidtfelt Nielsen
Graduate school: Natural and Technical Sciences
Course fee: 1,200.00 DKK
Max seats: 20
Status: Course is open for application
Semester: Fall 2021
Application deadline: 15/09/2021
Start date: 13/10/2021
Administrator: Thilde Møller Risgaard
1 extra ECST awarded for an additional assignment
The course Research integrity (Online course) is being offered by the Graduate School of Natural Sciences/GSNS and Graduate School of Technical Sciences/GSTS, Aarhus University, fall 2021 .
Criteria for participation: PhD student + participation in the GSST Introduction day.
- Providing junior researchers with a general introduction to research integrity and responsible conduct of research
- Enabling junior researchers to reflect on issues concerning integrity and responsibility in relation to their own research
Learning outcomes: At the end of the course the student should be able to:
- Identify and describe research integrity principles and policies/codes of conduct enforced to promote responsible conduct of research
- Design research process in accordance to codes of conduct regarding research planning, data management, publication and authorship, and conflicts of interest
- Reflect upon her/his own research in relation to research integrity and responsible conduct of research
Compulsory program: Active participation and one written assignment (5 pages)
- Research integrity principles and codes of conduct in research
- Advising and mentoring
- Data acquisition and management
- Authorship, publication and peer review
- Scientific misconduct and questionable research practices
- Conflicts of interest
- Science in society
Teaching methods: Lectures, seminars and student presentations
Course assessment: Passed/not passed, based on active participation and written assignment. One extra ECTS can be obtained by writing an additional individual paper (app. 10 pages) that draws on additional literature.
National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and Institute of Medicine. 2009. On Being a Scientist: A Guide to Responsible Conduct in Research: Third Edition. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/12192
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2017. Fostering Integrity in Research. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/21896
ECTS: 1 (1 extra ECST awarded for an additional assignment)
Head of course: Kristian Hvidtfelt Nielsen
Instructors: Kristian H. Nielsen + invited speakers
Time and date:
13 October 2021. 9-16
27 October 2021. 9-16
Due to an Agreement between Danish Universities coming into force as of 1 January 2011, participants from other universities than Aarhus University will have to pay DKK 1,200 per ECTS. In principle this also applies to external parties, but exemption can be granted under specific circumstances.
Please be aware that your registration for the course not necessarily equals your admission for the course. You will receive an e-mail after the registration deadline regarding whether you are admitted for the course or if you are registered on the waiting list. Please note that seats are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.
- 13 October 2021 09:00 - 16:00
- 27 October 2021 09:00 - 16:00