Course C267/04 Introduction to Fluorescence MicroscopyCancelled
Course leader: Lene Niemann Nejsum
Graduate school: Faculty of Health
Graduate program: ClinFO
Course fee: 4,320.00 DKK
Max seats: 24
Status: Course is cancelled
Semester: Spring 2021
Application deadline: 28/12/2020
Start date: 25/01/2021
Administrator: Annette Poulsen
Title: Introduction to Fluorescence Microscopy
is being offered by the Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University, spring 2021
Criteria for participation: University degree in medicine, dentistry, nursing, or Master’s degree in other fields and/or postgraduate research fellows (PhD students and research-year medical students).
Aim: The aim is to give the participants an overview of basic fluorescence microscopy techniques, sample preparation, image acquisition and imaging analysis.
Learning outcomes: The students will obtain basic knowledge of different fluorescence microscopy techniques, sample preparation, image acquisition and image analysis. This should enable students to prepare samples for fluorescence microscopy, choose the appropriate microscope setup, acquire images, analyze images and generate publication figures. This will enable students to participate in research projects involving fluorescence microscopy.
- Overview of basic light and fluorescence microscopy methods including white light microscopy, wide-field fluorescence microscopy and confocal microscopy as well as optics, cameras and photodetectors.
- Introduction to sample preparation of cells and paraffin embedded tissue sections for fluorescence microscopy (hands on).
- Introduction to image analysis using ImageJ Fiji; this includes working with multicolor images, background handling and fluorescence quantification (hands on) and
- Practical demonstration of wide-field fluorescence image acquisition using an inverted, automated microscope (due to COVID-19, this will not be hands-on). There will be a mandatory home assignment equivalent to 0.6 ECTS.
Recommended knowledge for participation: This is an introductory course, so no experience with fluorescence microscopy is necessary
Instructors: Assistant Professor Frédéric H. Login, PhD student Christina V. Ernstsen, PhD student Sarannya E
Dates and times: 25 - 27 January and 8 February 2021 from 8:30 - 16:00
Place: 25-27/1 University Park: 1240-211 and adjacent laboratory facility
8/2 Aarhus University Hospital (Skejby): G206-122 and G206-142
Participation in the course is without cost for:
- PhD students and research-year students from Aarhus University
- PhD students from University of Helsinki
- PhD students from other institutions in the open market agreement for PhD courses
- 25 January 2021 08:30 - 16:00
- 26 January 2021 08:30 - 16:00
- 27 January 2021 08:30 - 16:00
- 08 February 2021 08:30 - 16:00